Backing up files/ making mirror using Time machine?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gangst, Sep 8, 2008.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding backing up files. I currently do not have a proper backing up 'system', i.e. I only drag and drop files which are important on to an external hard drive and this is quite random.

I am considering implementing a RAID0 system on my PowerMac G5 and installing an eSATA card to connect to an external drive with high bandwidth.

However, I am unsure of the best way to backup?! If I have RAID0 and purchase a 1TB external drive (connected by eSATA) can Time Machine do all the hard work? By this i mean can it create a completely mirrored drive or will it back up only the user files and not the system files? Also can you set Time Machine to backup on the fly or will it only do it at set intervals?

If Time Machine can't sort this fuss out, is there another program which can do it hassle free and manage backing up efficiently in the background like Time machine?

It is just that with RAID0 I fear a drive failure and would like the simplicity of just reinstalling the contents from a mirror if a failure occurred?

Thanks for any help.

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Hi gangst,

I am not using Time Machine, mostly because it cannot create a bootable Mirror of my laptop's harddrive. I am using SuperDuper (which can do smart backups, i.e. only backup files that have changed since the last backup) - it's shareware, but if you search this forum you'll find many people using it. A free alternative may be Carbon Copy Cloner "CCC", but I cannot tell you anything about it.

Pit

3. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply, that is what I wanted to know. Looks like I will have to use either this or CCC.