Backing up files with a Fusion drive - How does it work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kurrgo, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Kurrgo, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014

Kurrgo macrumors member

I am new to the fusion drive concept and am looking for information. If I copy and paste Logic Pro projects to external drives for backups - how would I do this with a fusion drive? Since there are different file types - could they be saved to different parts of the fusion drive? If so, would copying and pasting my Logic Pro project to an external drive transfer the complete project?

Sorry if this is a silly question! I don't fully understand the fusion drive.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. Kurrgo thread starter macrumors member

So I can just copy and paste my project folder from my iMac to the external hard drive?

I've read that the fusion drive may corrupt projects by losing files so I want to me sure to backup.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The two drives are combined by the OS so that a single drive appears in Finder. You can copy and paste files as normal, all the clever stuff is done in the background.

Because there are two physical drives and the files are spread across both of them you can lose your data if one of them fails as the single virtual (fusion) drive will no longer function. Just make sure you are using Time Machine or another backup system to protect your data.

5. CaptOblivious macrumors member

Fusion logic is transparent to the user, you don't have to worry which "bits" are stored where.

6. Kurrgo thread starter macrumors member

Do you currently use a fusion drive? Would you recommend it over a 7200 RPM?
    Thanks for the info!

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A Fusion drive is part SSD and is significantly faster than a regular 7200 RPM hard drive.

8. Kurrgo thread starter macrumors member

I placed my order today. I'm glad I decided on the fusion drive. Is there a way for me to determine what is on the SSD (the software should be I guess)? I'll be using migration assistant from a MBP thats about 6-7 years old.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I do not believe so but Fusion Drives are seamless and you won't have to worry.

10. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Probably, but there is no point since it changes dynamically, and you can't alter what goes where at any particular time anyway. The whole idea is that it's "user proof" you just let the computer get on with worrying about that.

Also, don't know where you read that fusion drives are liable to corrupt data and therefore you should take backups, first that isn't true, and second you should take backups anyway.

Time Machine will take care of backups for you, if you aren't aware of that, check it out.