Backing up footage

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by r00st, Jul 22, 2008.

1. r00st macrumors newbie

I just had a SATA drive crash on my MacPro, thank GOD it wasn't the SATA with all my footage on it.

We shoot with Panasonic HVX200s and started burning the p2 footage to DVDs but its too time consuming with everything we're shooting.

So on that note, what is the most sure-fire way to back up my footage? I don't want to have to worry about a drive crashing/failing. Is a RAID system the best? If so, which one for about 1TB of footage?

Thanks.

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

definitely raid. my main capture drive is set up this way. lots to choose from out there. run a search as there have been some great threads on this. i'm looking at the same thing, but maybe a networked storage attached to a gigabyte switch is the way to go.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

RAID-1 is good for *redundancy* it's not good for *backup*. Ex. a power spike that fries your machine will fry your RAID along w/it. For backups either keep making DVDs or copy the footage to an external HDD that is kept unplugged (and better yet kept at a separate location) unless footage is being copied over to it.

Lethal

4. synth17 macrumors newbie

If you can afford it buy a Drobo (version 2) and 4 1TB hard drives or the new 1.5TB. http://drobo.com