Backing up for AppleCare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleva, Dec 6, 2012.

1. appleva, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

appleva macrumors newbie

Hey,

I am going to send in my MacBook Pro with retina display today due to a defective trackpad. They are going to replace the entire bottom, so I need to backup my SSD. I have been using Time Machine ever since I got my mac, but I believe Time Machine only keeps a copy of the files on your mac, not any programs I installed.

I want to keep my programs without having to having to redownload or repurchase old programs. Any suggestions?

I've heard of SuperDuper! I know it clones the SSD, but can I transfer my SuperDuper copy back to my SSD once i get my new mac.

Thanks in advance!

2. simsaladimbamba

Unless you EXCLUDED the Applications folder or any other folder on the Macintosh HD partition, almost everything gets backed up, including your applications. ( Time Machine FAQ )
    But since restoring from a clone via CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! is faster than restoring from a Time Machine backup, use an external HDD, properly formatted*, to clone the SSD onto and then to clone from the HDD to the SSD (since the HDD is now bootable) once the MacBook Pro with Retina Display has returned.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.