Backing up forever

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stormchaser, Sep 14, 2010.

1. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

My 3G eversince installing iTunes10 (still have os3.1.3) is taking about 3 hours just to backup before even synching anything.
    Before it was 10 mins max but now its sooo long
    Can anyone explain why this is happening please?

Also is it possible to sync without backing up first?
    Help much appreciated :)

2. cypher23 macrumors member

cypher23

You can usually click on the small "x" but since you're running iTunes 10, I don't believe that's an option any longer. When you backup, it creates a backup of all data on the iPhone with the exception of synced content such as ringtones, music, apps, movies, etc. If you have alot of photos/videos that you've taken on the iPhone, you can dramatically decrease the backup times by importing those photos/videos onto your computer and removing them from your iPhone.

Hope this helps.

3. stormchaser thread starter macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Thanks for the reply.The little "x" button still works on iTunes 10 so can bypass Backing up and just sync instead which is good.
    I done a backup lastnight which took from 9pm until 2.45am.I think i will backup only when i have done major changes/purchases etc on the phone and just sync/charge.
    i have to admit i do have 2000 photos on my phone so its that which is definately the problem.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You're better off backing up more often, not only when you have a lot of changes. Those times should go way down. My 3G took maybe 15-30 minutes tops. My 4 takes a minute (love that thing).

5. stormchaser thread starter macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Thanks Aggie i will try again soon and see how long it takes.
    Wow the 4 only takes a minute thats hyper quick :)

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You could have a corrupt app that is causing the backup to hang

7. stormchaser thread starter macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Possible Gav2K its happened eversince i downloaded a pic/video safe app on itunes but i do have 6 videos and 2000 pics in there.I think if i remove it my backup times will be very quick.
    Thanks for your advice.

8. stormchaser thread starter macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Well i have just removed 90% of my photos on my phone and iam left with about 200 on there and my back up time is down to just barely 2 mins.What a result i thought it was the volume of pics on there :D

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I have over 2000 pics, but they're not in the camera roll, which is the only place pics are backed up from. Sounds like your 2000 are in the camera roll. Instead of deleting them, you should've imported them to your computer and then synced them and then you could delete them from the camera roll.

10. stormchaser thread starter macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Hi aggie,
    All my pics were in my "Picture safe" app and not in the camera roll as i transfered them all.They are back on my PC now.I don,t think i need all those in my phone but have left some on.
    Thanks for your advice :)