Backing Up from TIME MACHINE hard-drive :eek:

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ignacy, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Ignacy macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I will give my macbook pro to my father next week and will wait for the new macbook pro's. Before doing so, I will backup (automatically) all my stuff by connecting my external Time Machine configured hard-drive a last time.

As soon as the new Macbook Pro's are released I will get one and connect it to the Time Machine configured hard-drive. Any risks in doing so? What are the chances of losing all my data? 1%:p? Is there something I should watch out for?
    Some of you must have done this before so please share the experience ;)

Thanks in advance,

Frederik.

2. jeff3221 macrumors regular

Can't help you with the time machine question. I wouldn't gave your dad your mbp until a new one comes out. A new one might not come out for months. Unless you have another computer to use, you are probably making the wrong decision.

3. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

When you get a new MBP, OS X should prompt you to use the drive as a Time Machine backup drive. Choose no, that way it doesn't overwrite any data. Transfer all your old data over & then go into System Preferences and tell it that it is okay to use it as a backup drive.

As far as how to transfer the data, I believe you can bootup to the Mac OS X disk and tell it to restore from a Time Machine backup. Then, just point it to your external hard drive.

Just one final note.. As the above poster said, there is no way to know if new Macbook Pros will be released. It is all just rumors.

4. Ignacy thread starter macrumors newbie

Procrastinating nature...

Although I'd love to see new Macbook Pro's, there's another reason why I'll be giving my macbook pro to my father a little early: >> My procrastinating nature!!!
    I am a composer and internet is addictive... Friday the Macbook (with inbuilt wifi) will fly to madrid and I won't have access to internet for a while. In other words, there will be less distraction and more composing!
    I know that the best option would be to try to change my psyche on this matter but this is difficult:eek:
    My Mac Pro hasn't got a wifi connection fortunately ;)

Does anyone know of a program where you can auto block access to your own computer for a specific time interval? That would be great for when I'll get my new macbook pro :)
    I am crazy...

Thanks for the answers by the way. I hope the backup restore from Time Machine will go flawlessly :)

5. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

You could just make a new account and setup time limits in Parental Controls. Then, of course, you will know the password for the admin account, though.

6. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

You could also re-install Leopard as soon as you get your MBP (it'll let you get rid of any unwanted languages as well) and during the process you can choose to install from a Time Machine backup.

7. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

If you're looking for a computer program to stop you from using your computer, you've got bigger fish to fry.