Backing up hard drive - without Mac on Windows - FileVault

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Hustler1337, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Hustler1337 macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

Hi guys,

My 2011 Macbook Pro succumbed to the dreaded GPU failure and now I cannot log into my Mac at all. I've tried booting into Safe Mode and Recovery Mode but both just result in a blank white screen. I've booked myself an appointment at the Genius Bar to get it repaired but in the meantime I need to back up my files by physically taking the hard drive out of the MBP and putting it into an enclosure. The earliest appointment I could get is for next week, so in the meantime, I really need access to some important files to meet a deadline. I am plagued with bad luck.

Before I go to a store to pick up an empty enclosure, I'm worried I won't be able to access any of my files as I think my hard drive is encrypted with Apple's FileVault, though I'm not sure. My plan is to install a HFS+ filsystem driver on my Windows machine and then access the files that way.

If FileVault is indeed active on my MBP, does this mean I will not be able to access my hard drive files at all?

Would really appreciate any advise or suggestions.

Thank you!

Things considered:

- Target Disk Mode - don't have access to another Mac
    - Use Time Machine Backups - drive failed recently. Have another drive but the last backup was 1.5 years ago.

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

If indeed the drive is file vault encrypted, I believe you will need another Mac to unencrypt it.

3. richard2 macrumors regular

richard2

I'm unable to find any HFS+ drivers for Windows that support FileVault 2.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

That doesn't surprise me at all, you will need to mount the drive on another mac and enter the FV2 password to unlock the drive, I'm not aware of any other way.

5. Hustler1337 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

Thanks guys, I guess I have no option but to find a friend with a Mac :( Cheers