Backing Up Health & Activity Data

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by profets, Jun 22, 2016.

1. profets macrumors 68040

Using the watch since launch, I have a lot of health and activity/workout data built up. Whenever doing updates or upgrades I backup & restore from that backup.

I don't mind once in a while doing a clean restore (wouldn't mind trying to iOS 10 in the fall), but is there any way to backup health and activity data separate from it being part of an iPhone backup? Any idea?

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

No way that I know of. Wish there were but its all integrated into the phone backup.

3. profets thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks. That's what I figured. Really would like to have it separated it out. I know being health data that Apple is going to be very sensitive around it, but I'd be happy letting it sync to iCloud so that it isn't dependent on the phone.

4. spitf1r3 macrumors regular

spitf1r3

Sync Solver - Health to CSV

5. profets thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks! That's interesting. I wonder if it'll export workouts as well. I'll have to test it out. Also wonder if it's possible to import afterwards on a clean iOS install.

6. spitf1r3 macrumors regular

spitf1r3

As far as I know this app can’t import data back, but I’m sue there is a workflow for this.

7. profets thread starter macrumors 68040

Been searching a bit, found this app called Health Importer. Seems to be able to import from a CSV file.

From details, it looks like these apps can grab all health data, but not sure if it'll grab Activity, Workouts and Achievements from the Activity app. Only one way to find out.

8. roma0803 macrumors newbie

iOS 10 has an option in the Health app to export all health data. I see no option to import it again though. The data is exported as a zip file to whatever location you choose. Inside are two xml files with the data.

9. spitf1r3 macrumors regular

spitf1r3

Maybe the import will be added in a future beta?

10. profets thread starter macrumors 68040

That's good to hear, thanks. Let's hope it'll be a feature by the time iOS 10 is final.

11. Kase1217 macrumors newbie

If you actually export it to iCloud drive as an example, you can then tap on the zip drive and choose open with and it will give you an option to import back into health app

12. roma0803, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016

roma0803 macrumors newbie

Serious? Brilliant find!

Edit:
    Tried it and I indeed get the option to look at the files inside the zip and copy the content to Health. Great find Kase!

13. Kase1217 macrumors newbie

Anytime!

14. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

Really great find, seriously. Wow, that is good to know.

15. guychicago macrumors 6502

guychicago

I was able to add it to my iCloud drive. However, when i click on the export.zip file within iCloud drive, it only gives me a preview content option or a share sheet which has an option called "Copy to Health". When i click on it it says none of the import files are valid Health Documents.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 24, 2016 ---
    I wanted to also add that you first need to do an OTA upgrade to preserve your data or do a restore and import your backup. ios9.3 does not have the export to iCloud option.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

This is there in iOS 9 as well.

This is only health data though, right? Not achievements, activity and workouts, correct?

17. profets thread starter macrumors 68040

That's what I'd like to know as well. I don't think this is exporting workouts, activity and achievements.

Honestly I get the privacy concerns around health data, but it would be so nice if at least for workouts and activity to let them sync with iCloud.

18. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I don't think this is directly related to your question but I was tired of losing my daily rings when I had to restore (or whatever) my watch. Found out if you are using encrypted back ups that the activity rings are backed up as well (or so I'm told haven't had to try since the new os).

19. profets thread starter macrumors 68040

That's definitely the case. Encrypted backups will save all health and activity data. I've done it multiple times, including with iOS 10 beta. Just hoping more of it can move to the cloud so it's one less thing to worry about backup up / tying to a single device.

20. guychicago macrumors 6502

guychicago

Still not sure how the import from iCloud works, tried but didn't see any options in beta 1.

21. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If you export the file to iCloud Drive. Then launch iCloud Drive on your iPhone and click the file you had previously exported, does it give an option to import to health?

22. profets thread starter macrumors 68040

I have Beta 1 installed. Will give it a try in a bit. I was going to try this yesterday, but it was taking a lot time to export, looked as if it hung or got stuck.

23. roma0803 macrumors newbie

No, it's a lot of data that can get exported. It does work, takes time though.

24. guychicago macrumors 6502

guychicago

Nope! I see an option called "Copy to Health". See my post above of what the error message is when i click that.

25. Zcott macrumors 68020

Has anyone been able to make this work? It's the one thing holding me back from trying the public beta.