backing up huge itunes libraries

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrgreeneyes, Feb 6, 2009.

1. mrgreeneyes macrumors 6502

hey,

how do you guys backup all your itunes media?

do you just use one drive and not back up?

im just wondering, because i have a fear that if i only back up all my itunes media on a external drive, that one day, it will crash when i need it, and ill be screwed. so what the best way to back it up? i was thinking of burning it all to dvds but that would take forever.

thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I just regularly drag my music folder to an external drive to back it up. It works perfectly well.

3. mrgreeneyes thread starter macrumors 6502

your not worried that the drive the as the backup will crash or stop working?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If I have it on two drives (the master and the backup), the chances are very remote that both drives would die at the same time. If you want added protection, copy it to a 3rd drive, but two should suffice.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My iTunes library is stored on a RAID 1 NAS, but I really view my "backup" as being my iPod.

Like ggjstudios says, two copies is plenty.

6. synagence macrumors 6502a

My mac is attached to a 1Gbit ethernet switch and i use DejaVu to backup my media each week to a 1Tb RAID1 NAS

Online backup of 170Gb would take too long at 1mbit up stream

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

If you just buy an external drive and use Time Machine, your library will be backed up. I do that... Also, I use a service called Mozy. The first backup is VERY slow if you have a huge library but after that it only does incremental backups. $5/month gives you unlimited space for backing up w/ them. I use an online service in addition to the time machine for the freak case if i'm traveling and drop my laptop and while I drop it, my apartment gets robbed... haha something like that :D

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I have a couple backups. I have 320 GB drive in my mac pro that is a dedicated time machine backup. I also have an external drive as a data backup. i periodically use superduper to keep that one updated.

9. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

I backup my library once a month using SuperDuper, and store that hard drive at work.

10. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

there are websites that for 50$ a year offer unlimited storage