Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
Hi there
A while ago I formatted my HD, and reinstalled with two partitions. One for my current system and one "free space", that I thought I'd use for backing up my iBook. Trying to make a backup using SuperDuper!, I connected the machines (firewire) and booted the iMac in target-disc mode; but the only drive that showed up on the ibook was my working partition:confused: and the free space was nowhere in sight. Any sugestions as for what I need to do?

Thanx

-Squirrel

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Target mode only shows the boot partition. You need to boot the iBook in Target mode and hook it up and run SuperDuper.

Be careful using a partition as a "back up". If your iMac HD fails, so does your back up.

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
Thanx for the advice:) I'll try that when my son is asleep (iMac is next to his bed).

I know that its a bit dodgy, backing up to a partition, but I figure that the chance of both iBook and iMac getting stolen/exploding/dying on me simultaneously is rather small, so this way I'm pretty sure to keep my most important data.

-Squirrel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.