Backing up iCloud contacts, calendar

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by MSFT, Dec 15, 2014.

1. MSFT macrumors member

I noticed what I think is a hole in my backup "system". All the stuff on my computer is backed up, but my iCloud account isn't.

For example, if I accidentally delete my iCloud account, or something terrible happens on Apple's side, all my contacts and calendar appointments (which I rely on) would be gone.

Is there a way to back up the contents of my iCloud account? Is that done automatically when I plug in my Time Machine?

2. Rigby macrumors 601

Your iCloud data is not automatically backed up by Time Machine. I'd recommend to make periodic backups of important data to an archive file and copy that somewhere where it's part of your regular disk backup. That way to can retrieve the information in case you delete something in iCloud by mistake, or some disaster strikes in Apple's cloud.

The easiest way to do this is to export the contacts and calendar to .vcf and .ics files respectively. See here for some options:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204055