Backing up iPad to iTunes to external drive?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mojer, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Mojer macrumors member

I am new to iPad 2. I am guessing that backing up iPad to iTunes is the best method of backup. Once iPad is backed up to iTunes how do I save that to an external drive in the event of a PC crash? Thanks

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Locate your MobileSync folder and the back-up folder should be there.

Mac: Macintosh HD> User> (User name)> Library> Application Support> Mobile Sync

Windows: ? (though it should be a similar path, just locate the MobileSync Folder).

In the event that your computer does crash, its actually very simple to create a new back-up of your device without syncing it, so it might be a little unnecessary to save your back-up to an external drive.

3. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I have a D-Link ReadyNAS+. This allows me to setup an automatic backup with either Time Machine or an automatic backup script.

Since everything is automatic and everything is saved to two hard drives, I should always have a copy (unless, god forbid, both hard drives die at the same time).

4. Mojer thread starter macrumors member

How can I do a backup via a USB ext hard drive? What do I have to copy in itunes? Thanks

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

6. Mojer thread starter macrumors member

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

music and apps certainly as they're in the iTunes library, difficult to say regarding documents.

see here about where the actual ipad backups are stored: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4079

Are you not regularly backing up your PC anyway? That should get everything and specifically backing up your itunes library would be sort of redundant.