iPhone 6(S)(+) Backing Up iPhone 6S Plus to External HDD

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajayaujla, Mar 14, 2018.

1. ajayaujla macrumors newbie

I am trying to backup my iPhone 6S Plus to my external Seagate HDD. However, I keep getting the error:

"itunes could not backup the iphone because the backup was corrupt or not compatible"

However, I do not have any previous backups on my Mac or even the HDD and am not sure of how to solve this error.

In terms of how I set up backup to my external HDD, I used a common method which can be found at this link:

https://appletoolbox.com/2016/05/backup-iphone-external-drive/

Does anyone know how I can solve this or have had success fixing this problem?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

To my knowledge, you cannot backup your phone to an external drive through iTunes. To accomplish your goal, you would need to use a third party program like iMazing, which bypasses iTunes, and allows you to backup to your external drive or Mac etc.

3. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

Are you handy with the Terminal? With using symbolic links as described?

I use to locate my home folder on another disk drive for years effectively. Apple has even made it easier.

4. ajayaujla thread starter macrumors newbie

I have done this before on another Mac though and there are many sites online with instructions on how to do it so it is possible.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

My post was speaking about native ability.