'Backing Up iPhone' on every sync?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Surely, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Surely Guest

Surely

What is up with this? Ever since the 2.0 update, it takes way longer to sync my iPhone because iTunes backs it up every time I sync. Why? I don't need a backup every time I sync. In 1.1.4, it would only sync and not backup.

Is there a workaround for this, or am I stuck waiting out the backup process?

2. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I have an iPod touch and I have the same problem. It takes a good 10 to 15 mins to fully sync my iPod. :(

3. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

It doesn't take that long for me, but the 5 minutes it does take is pretty annoying.

Hopefully Apple fixes this in 2.0.1

4. amb1s1 macrumors newbie

Is happening to me. Is taking 10 minutes. What about if I just want to sync one mp3 or a podcast. Anybody found the fix, is this has to do with contact and Ical syncing over the air.

5. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

you can always click the "X" to cancel the back up, and have the sync go through as normal.

6. goodcow macrumors 6502a

For some reason it's dumping a lot of data into:

user -> library -> application data -> mobilesync -> backup

7. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I'm having the same problem here, its is very annoying.

Also the 2.0 software doesn't seem as smooth as the previous version. I hope Apple gets this fixed ASAP in addition to mobile me.

8. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

First few syncs were this way and I wanted to cancel it every time but lately they are getting shorter and not as annoying

Wish it would stop though

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

NEW RECORD!!!

It took my iPod 30 minutes to fully sync. YAY!!!:rolleyes:

10. inblosam macrumors newbie

Me too

Same problem, "backing up iphone" on every sync. Anyone have a remedy for this more than cancelling it? Or are we just waiting for Apple to release an update?

11. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

I have a theory - Apps can save whatever files in their own directories, Apple has no idea which files or where. So Apple chose to backup the entire set of Apps, so that way the App's save files would always be backed up as well in case of having to re-sync. And once they are downloaded, Apps take up more space than before, since they are installed after being downloaded, so more to backup.

12. kimb macrumors newbie

On you iPhone..try going into settings and switch the fetch new data off and then try syncing again. i did that and it stopped the backing up crap.

if that doesnt work sorry.

13. techage14 macrumors regular

techage14

that's a very good theory. Now, prove it.

14. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

On the main page when you plug in the iPhone, you can always deselect the "Sync iPhone" option and always do it manually.

15. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

Unfortunately that's not the issue. It's nice that you're trying to think of solutions however :D

I have this same dumb backup problem, and it's driving me nuts. Every time I come back to my computer with a few more apps added tot he phone, it takes forever to back it up. It's super irritating.

If anyone has a fix, that'd be ideal.

16. interesting macrumors member

It wants to backup every time you add an app. If you do not add an app then it will only sync your songs, ringtones, etc. and be much shorter. Try syncing after you did not get any new apps. Of course let it backup fully once as well.

17. boxod macrumors newbie

I think you may have a good point here, but even so.. There should be some way of disabling this function.
    Maybe like said before, it will get a fix in a future update.

Has anyone contacted Apple about it?

18. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

So my iphone completely went to **** on me last night, and I had to restore it, I could ''Restore from Backup" but NO! The backup was corrupted!!!! Every time I plug in my new iPhone it takes at least 10 minutes to sync I have a whole bunch of apps and this 'backup' junk takes forever, and THEN, when I actually NEED my backup IT DOESN'T WORK!!!

Now half my apps are gone, etc.
    :(:mad::mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:mad: