Backing up iPhone with iOS7 and restoring to new phone?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ccapman670, Jun 15, 2013.

1. ccapman670 macrumors regular

I have iOS7 on my iPhone 5 and have for a few days now. I really like it. Unfortunately my lock button stopped working so I need to have Apple ship me a new phone and send this one back. I was wondering can I backup my iPhone 5 with iOS7 to iTunes like normal, and when I get the new phone install iOS7 on it first and then just restore from my backup like normal? Is there any reason this wouldn't work? My UDID on this phone and the new one will be registered as developers so there won't be any issues with that. I'm trying to avoid downgrading back to iOS6 and then back if it's not necessary. Any help would be appreciate!

Thank you!

2. ccapman670 thread starter macrumors regular

Can anyone give me some input on this before I replace my phone!? Thanks!

3. BigMar89 macrumors 6502

well ill tell you my experience:

i solely did an "update" when the beta came out. Ran it like that until today when i decided to do a clean install/set up as new iPhone and noticed that more than half of my iCloud pics and vids were missing. Camera Roll back up claims 220 MB worth of media yet only uploaded 88 MB worth. Now i have no idea if those pics are lost forever or its just a bug where a previous iOS 6 back up clashed with the new iOS 7 back up.

4. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Definitely should have no problems with this!

In fact, if you back up using your current iOS 7 phone, you wouldn't be able to use that backup on iOS 6 anyway as you can't use a back up from a iOS on a previous major iOS so you wouldn't really have a choice anyway unless you use one of your older iOS 6 backups, but nonetheless what you suggested should work!