Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
When I got my iPhone 5 my iMac didn't support the newest version of iTunes so I never backed up my iPhone.

Now fast forward almost 2 years. My iPhone's lock button is wearing out and I want to get it replaced through Applecare. If I plug my iPhone into my mac pro, what will happen? Will iTunes automatically erase my iPhone and I'll loose my contacts and photos?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Speaking as a PC user, before plugging your device into the cable, you can open iTunes and find the setting that says the equivalent of "Do not automatically sync when device is connected" and make certain that an automatic sync won't happen. You want to be able to start iTunes, plug your iPhone into the cable and then choose to Backup your device.

In the Windows version of iTunes, after your device is plugged into your computer, a summary screen shows along with the name of your device also listed in a column on the left side of iTunes. To the right of the device name is an arrow that, when right-clicked, drops down a menu from which you can choose Backup This Device. That's what you want to do, protecting your current info and only making a backup set.

I don't know how Mac behaves but it can't be all that different, right?

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
In addition to doing a backup via iTunes or iCloud I would strongly recommend that you import your photos to a computer http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4083
You can do that and still leave them on the phone if you like.

I would also recommend that you sync the contacts either via iCloud or iTunes.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Speaking as a PC user, before plugging your device into the cable, you can open iTunes and find the setting that says the equivalent of "Do not automatically sync when device is connected" and make certain that an automatic sync won't happen. You want to be able to start iTunes, plug your iPhone into the cable and then choose to Backup your device.

In the Windows version of iTunes, after your device is plugged into your computer, a summary screen shows along with the name of your device also listed in a column on the left side of iTunes. To the right of the device name is an arrow that, when right-clicked, drops down a menu from which you can choose Backup This Device. That's what you want to do, protecting your current info and only making a backup set.

I don't know how Mac behaves but it can't be all that different, right?

Yep... it is the same on the Mac version. That don't auto sync is in iTunes prefs under the devices tab.

Last edited:

Smith2000

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
iTunes will provide you the option of what to do with the phone when you plug it into your mac. Read the options carefully and you should be fine. Do it with a free appointment at an Apple store or bribe someone in your IT department at work with coffee/beer for help if you're nervous about it.

When I got my iPhone 5 my iMac didn't support the newest version of iTunes so I never backed up my iPhone.

Now fast forward almost 2 years. My iPhone's lock button is wearing out and I want to get it replaced through Applecare. If I plug my iPhone into my mac pro, what will happen? Will iTunes automatically erase my iPhone and I'll loose my contacts and photos?

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
iTunes will provide you the option of what to do with the phone when you plug it into your mac. Read the options carefully and you should be fine. Do it with a free appointment at an Apple store or bribe someone in your IT department at work with coffee/beer for help if you're nervous about it.

The OP said his version of iTunes wouldn't support his iPhone. I'm assuming (maybe faultily enough) that the same situation continues now. In that case, they'd be far better off backing up their Fone to iCloud through a WiFi connection. (I do the same when I'm not around my computer but want to do a backup.) And yes, when I first got my eyeFone, the helpfuls @ a local Apple Store set me up with a free iCloud account and showed me how to do it using the WiFi connection.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The OP said his version of iTunes wouldn't support his iPhone. I'm assuming (maybe faultily enough) that the same situation continues now. In that case, they'd be far better off backing up their Fone to iCloud through a WiFi connection. (I do the same when I'm not around my computer but want to do a backup.) And yes, when I first got my eyeFone, the helpfuls @ a local Apple Store set me up with a free iCloud account and showed me how to do it using the WiFi connection.

It sounds like what he is saying is his old iMac did not support the current iTunes, but his current Mac Pro does, so not he wants to sync/backup.

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
It sounds like what he is saying is his old iMac did not support the current iTunes, but his current Mac Pro does, so not he wants to sync/backup.
Oops ...my bad. Missed the "Mac Pro" part. (Function of old brains.):rolleyes:

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Well... at least you can type. :eek: :)

And READ too. Funny story about my new iFone. Just graduated from old LG flip phone but was quickly frustrated by tiny keyboard when composing text messages. When I first got my new Fone I also picked up a copy of David Pogue's excellent iPhone book. Read some of it - but not all. While browsing through it a week or so ago, I was in the text messaging section & ran across where I could SPEAK text copy instead of tiny-typing it. Marvelous! Also read where new A7 chip actually "expands" the "landing area" of certain keys after others have been pressed. Like the E A I & O after having typed "th". Wonderful use of technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.