Backing Up iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HefferMikMan, Aug 23, 2008.

1. HefferMikMan macrumors newbie

Ok, WHY does this take SO LONG to do? AND, WHY does it even have to be done? Why would I want to back up data for a device, when I already have all of that data on my computer?

Why can't I just plug in MiPhone, and add a video or a song in 30 seconds like I used to be able to? Now, I have to wait 30 minutes before I can do anything manually...Let's say that I just waited the 30 minutes backing it up, and unplugged MiPhone, If I were to plug it in again, I would have to wait ANOTHER 30 minutes before i could do anything!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love this thing, but some parts of it just piss me off.

2. Linuss macrumors regular

It backs up your contacts, text, and other phone related things so if you have to do a restore you won't lose it and spend hours putting stuff back in.

You CAN click the little black X to skip the backup...

3. djfrugal1 macrumors newbie

haha

It takes hours to backup and restore anyway.

4. Linuss macrumors regular

Oh my bad, I just assumed people wanted to skip the part where you have to put in all your contacts again to save time.

Well, at least those of us with more then 5 do.

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If you allow it to backup dailey, it should only take less than 10 minutes since it will only backup changes made during that one day.

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

10 minutes :eek:

More like 30 second's top's, I feel sorry for you if it takes that long. Maybe you need to visit Apple.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

No need to. It happens on both of my iPhones with 34 apps installed. This is perfectly normal and acceptable.

8. djfrugal1 macrumors newbie

5 contacts or 5 years old?

My contacts are automatically put in by exchange. I have thousands.

I don't think hours is normal and acceptable. There isn't that much info on an Iphone that it should take that long. You can sync huge Ipods with quadruple the amount of information much quicker.

There obviously is something causing some to go fast and some to go slow.

Is everyone on a Mac here, is anyone on a PC?

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I don't have that many apps installed but damn that seems terrible. I have 10 total apps on my phone. I do get alot of text's and call's everyday but I have never seen it take more than a minute to backup. Not on my original iPhone or my 3G.

10. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

mines like 45 seconds or something, first one is always long
    but then again I don't have 500 apps...lol

11. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I'm using an iMac 3.06 ghz with 4 GB of RAM running 10.5.4 with all the latest software installed.

But really how much memory or processor power would it take to do a simple backup of the data on an iPhone? I really don't know the answer but it can't be that much.

I could see a Window's PC screwing this up though... j/k. :)

12. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I'm using a PC (see signature) and now sync daily in less then 6 min. When I hit the X and canceled or didn't sync it would sometimes take up to 1 hour.

I have the classic w/2.0.2 and 35 apps installed.

The more you skip the longer its gonna take. Also clean out your error reporting folder once a week. Some of the reports get stuck in there and they pile up.

That's my .03 cents worth.
    Good Luck

13. Surely Guest

Surely

I backup my iPhone daily. I have a 1st gen iPhone and a MacBook.

Typically, it has taken around 5-10 minutes to backup my iPhone.

Two nights ago, I synced my phone, only to be waiting around over 30 minutes for the backup to conclude. I couldn't wait (I had to leave for dinner), so I had to cancel the backup.

In the morning, I synced again, and it took 45 minutes for the whole process to finish. I was almost late for my breakfast with friends!

Last night, when I got home, I synced my iPhone again. I decided to do it again to see how long it would take, thinking that the more often it is backed up, the less time it should take. Man, was I wrong. It took over 90 minutes to complete the backup! I started at midnight, and it finished at around 1:35 am.

This is not acceptable. These devices are supposed to make our lives easier and more efficient.

Sure, you could cancel the backup, but from what I understand, the syncing process destroys your last backup at the beginning of the sync to make room for the new backup. So, if you cancel the backup midway through, you are left with no backup. What if your phone dies and you are left with no backup?

This needs to be fixed. I hope Apple is paying attention.

EDIT: I just finished syncing my iPhone again. This time it only took 5 minutes. I'm glad that it only took 5 minutes, but WTH is going on here?? How about some consistency?

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I've found that once you cancel a backup by hitting the "x," it corrupts the backup files so that subsequent backups become inefficient, take longer, and possibly results in unusable backups. So if you cancel a backup midway, the next time you want to backup, delete the previous backup and start a new backup from scratch.

15. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i did a complete backup friday and it took like 3 hours.

it's gotten quicker now that i've rolled itunes back to 7.7.0 in order to solve the other problems i was having.

i agree, this backup thing is ridiculous and needs to be addressed. there's no way that the relatively small amount of data that gets added between backups should take that kind of time to sync.

16. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

my backups take 2-3 minutes tops, and I only connect my iPhone every other day or so... I don't have many apps, but I use the phone and text heavily

I'd rather devote the time to backing up than risk losing all my texts, call logs, preferences, etc.