Backing up iPhoto, keychain and so on...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sk3pt1c, Nov 30, 2007.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i'm gonna go Leopard next weekend and i want to back up my iPhoto library and keychain most of all.
    i know that keychain can sync with .mac, but how would i get it back after i install Leopard, i just sync with .mac and it downloads the whole keychain and all is well?
    does that work the same way with contacts and ical?

what about my Mail accounts?
    i don't really care about deleting them, since every email is still up on the server and i'd just download them again, but it'd be nice if i could have the same state come back with just a .mac sync...

with iPhoto, do i copy the iPhoto Library thingy to my external and then put it back to the same folder under Leopard?

2. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

also, i just downloaded Backup 3 from .mac

what's the point of using that when you have Time Machine in Leopard?

or is it just for Tiger users?

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

ok, so i backed up my iLife files and personal settings including keychain using Backup 3 to my external firewire drive (the one that actually works, thank you HFS+)
    Backup also backs up to .mac so i really don't see the point in using iSync anymore...
    plus with time machine in leopard, some of backup's functionality is not needed...
    from what i can see there have been some bad decisions there, as three functions overlap each other.
    time machine backs files up to a drive, backup backs files and settings up to a drive and .mac, isync backs (less) files and settings to .mac ...
    hmmm...
    either way, i hope Backup can restore my stuff properly once i'm in Leopard...

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

iSync isn't used for .Mac... hasn't been used that way for a while. It has since been more or less relegated to simply syncing data to a cell phone at this point (from what I can figure)

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

when i say iSync i don't mean the actual app, i mean syncing with .mac :p