Backing up iphoto to Carbon Copy Cloner- How?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by san001, Jun 15, 2015.

1. san001 macrumors member

Hi
    I am backing up my iphoto photos onto carbon copy cloner, but the library is there but I am unable to select it.

I have done this in the past, but now I cannot see how to do it

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

Where can you not select the library? In iPhoto or Photos or CarbonCopyCloner or Finder?

3. san001 thread starter macrumors member

I can select photos in CCC, but even though it says all copied sucessfully, it has not actually copied all the photos I had just added.

So this is when I look to copy the library, I am in CCC, and trying to select this as my source folder.

4. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

Photos is just the app and does not contain your photos, the actual library should be located at Home - Pictures - PHOTOS LIBRARY.

Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 16.22.43.png

5. san001 thread starter macrumors member

ok, thank you, i will have a look when I get home tonight.

6. san001 thread starter macrumors member

I found the photos library, however when I check my back up device it does not appear to have picked up all the latest photos I have saved on my Mac.
    On my External Hard Drive I do have the Application called Iphoto as I would on the MAC, is this where I am going wrong, as I expected them to appear in that application?

Any help appreciated

7. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

surely you'd just drag your photos library (found where gwendolini says) onto an external drive to back it up. not sure why youd benefit from using ccc. personally id also use the google photos app to back up onto the cloud.

8. san001 thread starter macrumors member

I dont back up onto cloud as I have too much data to store there.
    The reason I use CCC was because it just updates the new photos I have put on, if I backed up each time the whole file, it would take forever as I have around 22,000 photos.

9. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

If you backup your user folder with Desktop, Documents and Pictures and so on with CCC too, the Library should be backed up too.
    I don't know how well iPhoto can read Photos libraries and vice versa though.
    Normally if you boot from the clone and try to use iPhoto or Photos, you might have to choose which library to open.
    Hold down the Option key, then open Photos or iPhoto, then choose the library you want to open.

10. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP:

Just use CCC to create a bootable clone of your boot drive.

Assuming that you keep your Photos library in the Home folder (which is the default location), everything will be backed up -- and bootable.

11. milleron macrumors member

Everyone here is correct about having your photos backed up by doing a clone operation on Macintosh HD. However, I'm not sure that you want to clone the whole Macintosh HD as an automated backup task (for whatever reason). My reply would be pertinent only if you truly want a specific backup task for the the photo library alone.

Photos stores it's media in Users/Home/Pictures/photo library.photolibrary. You'd have to be asking Carbon Copy Cloner to backup that Pictures folder to get the recently-added photos in each successive backup.
    Photo libraary.photolibrary is a somewhat unusual data structure, from the standpoint of a non-IT person like me. It looks like one gigantic file in Finder, but it may actually be a directory or folder to Carbon Copy Cloner. IF you have Carbon Copy Cloner's backup mounted as a drive, then you may be able to direct Photos to Carbon Copy Cloner's Photo Library.photolibrary using Photos/Preferences/General tab. I say "may" because this is certainly nothing I've tried to do. That would allow you to tell if the added photos are actually being backed up by the automated CCC incremental backup. Then you'd just direct Photos back to it's original location. If you find that your added photos are being backed up incrementally, simply note the size of that "file" in the CCC backup and periodically make sure it's incrementally growing in size as you accumulate more photos.

If you have the disk space on your external drive, however, the most reasonable thing to do is to set up an automated cloning task for the entire Macintosh HD because you probably need to be doing that, anyway.