Backing up iPhoto via FTP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kevindosi, Aug 28, 2009.

1. kevindosi macrumors regular

I backup my iPhoto library via time machine, but I'm pretty paranoid about having some kind of disaster or robbery where I lose my computer and hard drive, because my photos are irreplaceable. I've got a lot of server space and figured I could backup to there. I know I could just copy the library to the server, btu I'm looking for something that will backup the library and keep it in sync. Because the iphoto library is some sort of package rather than a regular folder, I want to make sure that whatever application I use can make an initial backup then make backups in the future that only upload new files and changes (sort of like time machine) to keep it in sync. I just wasn't sure if this was doable with ftp apps because I'm not sure that it would only upload changes in the future, and I definitely want that.
    I also would like to backup things like my iTunes library and documents folder, but I'm not worried about them because they're just regular folders.
    Can anyone give me some pointers? I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Unless you have some sort of insanely brilliant internet connection with the most amazing upload speed ever, this seems like a bad idea.

Buy an external hard drive, back up to it once a month, and keep it at someone else's house, or at work, or whatever.

3. kevindosi thread starter macrumors regular

I know it would take forever to backup the first time, but I figured it wouldn't be such a big deal after that. I thought a lot of people backed up their libraries online.