Backing up iPhoto with Facebook and MobileMe Galleries

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by keithos27, May 10, 2010.

1. keithos27 macrumors regular

Hi there! I want to backup my iPhoto library, format my MacBook Pro, and then re-install iLife 09. I'm aware that the best/easiest way to backup my iPhoto library is to copy the package file under Username/Pictures to an external hard drive, then format my computer, re-install the software, run iPhoto for the first time (so that it creates an empty database), quit iPhoto, and then paste my old library over the newer library.

My question is this... When I do the above-mentioned steps, will my Facebook and MobileMe Galleries be in tact? I'm most worried about my Facebook Galleries as I have many with many of the photos on Facebook having multiple comments and tags on them. It would be a real shame to lose any of that on Facebook.

Can someone please advise?

Thank you,
    Keith

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No need for the step of running iPhoto to create an empty library first. Just copy the old Library into the Pictures folder, and the first time you run iPhoto it will identify the library.

If you want to make sure you get the MobileMe and Facebook galleries, I'd suggest grabbing the preferences file from your User library and making sure to transfer that prior to the first launch as well. ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist and com.apple.iPhoto.LSSharedFileList.plist (don't know for sure what that contains, but I'd say copy it over too).

jW