Backing up iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Angler, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Angler macrumors regular

Hi
    After doing a search I am still not clear which is the simplest way to back up my iPhoto library. I have 18g of pictures and I am thinking the easiest way to back up is to get a usb stick and just copy the library over to the stick. Then once in a while just copy my recent library over to the usb again. Am I missing something? Also if I ever needed to copy the pictures back to the iPhoto library would I just drag and drop back to the application. Thanks,

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

3. Cubytus macrumors 65816

But why aren't you using an automated process? Time Machine does that, plus more.

4. Angler, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

Angler thread starter macrumors regular

I have time machine but i don't feel like waiting for the initial backup as I have 100g of music plus 50g of movies. Since I have music match and the movies are backed up in the cloud the only thing is the pics. So this seemed to be easy and quick. But I am open to other ways of doing this. Thoughts?

5. Cubytus macrumors 65816

You can always exclude backups of your music and movies from iTunes. Music, if matched through iTunes Match, can be readily re-downloaded in case the drive fails. And movies can be easily re-downloaded should the need arise. It seems to be the case, so you may choose not to backup twice.

Even then, an initial backup of 150GB shouldn't take a week, expecially if NOT using USB.

6. Angler thread starter macrumors regular

i looked into excluding them but couldn't figure out how to do that....

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Go into the Systems preference panel, then select Time Machine
    Click on options in the lower right hand corner
    [​IMG]

Then click on the little plus to select what you want to exclude
    [​IMG]

8. Angler thread starter macrumors regular

9. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

You can always set up a Flickr account. You can manually sync iPhoto with it.

Thats what i do but yeah, you have to do a manual sync.

10. ricosuave macrumors 6502

ricosuave

Please be careful with a sync to Flickr, I did not see a way to retrieve deleted pictures from their service.

11. Cubytus macrumors 65816

As a rule of thumb, never trust anything you don't have direct control of. This especially applies to anything stored "in the cloud", unless you can afford to lose it.

12. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

Don't forget to keep a backup of your important docs and photos at an offsite location.