"backing Up iPod Touch" for 1 hour each time

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aeropix, Jul 14, 2008.

1. aeropix macrumors newbie

Every time I connect my V2.0 touch to iTunes, it shows "Backing up iPod" for about 1 hour every time I connect it. Anybody else with this problem? Solution?

Attached Files:

2. nish123456 macrumors member

3. tjmrpm04 macrumors member

That is not a problem. It is a feature. (Wow reminds me of Microsoft) You can click the close button and it will still sync your iPod and skip the backup.

4. Mattzane15 macrumors member

Go to Preferences, Syncing, then on the bottom you should see Disable automatic syncing. Check that and your done

5. aeropix thread starter macrumors newbie

Understood but doesnt answer problem

Yes that's true, but you should not have to do that. As having the iPod touch since the first day of release it has never done this before, and I am annoyed that it does this now.

I recogise that one way to "make it stop" is to "press the x" but my goal is not simply to "make it stop". This 1 hour backup each time it is plugged in is indicative of a problem with the communication or synchronisation of the device.

I am not interested in a band aid solution, as I know the touch is hot swappable in any event. I am trying to determine why it hangs like this.

I have about 1 dozen apps on there BTW, is a certain app causing the problem?

Here in Dubai there is no Apple support, so advice or comiseration is appreciated.

Attached Files:

6. aeropix thread starter macrumors newbie

Then it won't sync.

OK I could do that, but then it won't sync. As I am using it like a PDA, automatic sync is desired.

My concern is that this did not occur before the update. Before the update it would sync in less than 2 minutes every time, even if I had not synced for a week or more.

<2 minutes to >1 hour seems a little unreasonable jump for a software upgrade, no?

5- 10 minutes maybe I could understand given the new capabilities, but being on the go I need to solve this 1 hour problem. It's fatiguing.

7. aeropix thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it copying the entire contents each time I hook it up? How to disable that "Backup" but keep auto - sync? Shouldnt it do this incrementally, and not copy the entire contents each and every time?

8. Packersfan27 macrumors 6502

I know it gets pretty annyoing.

Hopfully this and other problems, including but not limited to crashing apps, problems with battery life and wifi problems will be fixed in the next update.

9. Doodledoo macrumors regular

I read in another thread about this that somebody called Apple and they said they were working on a solution (presumably in a future software update.. this is a big problem, so probably 2.0.1)

10. aeropix thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope so, since hot swapping or repeatedly pressing x a lot risks corrupting data, not only on the touch but maybe on the macbook also.

11. aeropix thread starter macrumors newbie

Just found another thread.

Sorry for the new thread. Here is a link to the Other Thread

12. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

Strange, my iPod is full (29gb), it only takes 10-20 seconds to backup.

13. aeropix thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you upgrade?

Mine too, until I upgraded to 2.0. If your firmware version is still 1.1.4 (ie you didnt pay for the upgrade) then you souldnt have an problem

14. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I get this too. I am okay with canceling the backup manually for now, as long as this is fixed in an update.

15. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

So I'm all updated and everything, however I never has this "hour long" backup.

Right now it is syncing and taking a long(er) time, its going to finish in about an hour, however I just added a application from the mobile app store, so this could be it. Do you add apps from the mobile store often? If so is that when your sync times are much longer than normal?

16. cakbar macrumors regular

I synced today for the first time since I installed 2.0. The backup took around 45mins. After it was done, I immediately synced again to see if the backup is incremental. The second time it only took 1-2mins to backup (pretty much the same as it was with V1.1.4).

17. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Mine was the same. Now its not a big deal.

18. aeropix thread starter macrumors newbie

Never used mobile store

Never used the mobile store. Further, even if I did it shouldnt take 1 hour to backup. I can backup my entire 250gb hard drive in an hour over a USB 2.0 cable, so I see no justification to backup 100kb application would take an hour. That would be something dreadful wrong, though it is not the case for me.

19. aeropix thread starter macrumors newbie

Does it every time, even if nothing to back up.

So after the 1 hour backup was done, I ejected and reconnected my ipd 2 sends later. And now, another 1 hour backup. Therefore something is still terribly wrong.

20. OUChevelleSS macrumors newbie

Mine is doing this too. It's not an hour, but it's about 20 minutes (16GB iPod, with about 14.5gigs of stuff).

This is a major problem for me. I was watching the MacHD in finder during the backup, and I started out with 11.93GB and ended with 11.45GB (I was only syncing, so no other files were copying). As you can see, I'm getting close to that 10GB safe zone, and this just isn't cool. I also can't figure out where these backups are going to delete them and free up space.

21. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

I'm running 2.0 and never had a long backup. Before I installed 2.0 I restored the iPod to factory settings as I knew 2.0 would back everything up which would take hours. Maybe thats why my backups only take a few seconds, its only backing up the recent items synced with my iPod (apps) as the tracks are stored on my mac?

22. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

I'm glad I'm not the only one this is happening to cause I thought something was seriously wrong with mine. I only have a couple apps installed and no music, photos or video and it still takes like 15 minutes to backup. I didn't load any media yet because I thought I was gonna have to reset everything again but maybe they will release an update to fix this then. I just don't understand how things like this can just slide through when they obviously have to have been aware of it.

23. megahertz macrumors member