Backing up itouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ascendedoshen, Sep 18, 2009.

1. ascendedoshen macrumors member

Boy I'm a dummy I took me several days to figure out how to begin a new topic so how do I save a backup of my touch so I can jus copy all my info to a new itouch?? I can't find the option to do so on iTunes! Thanks I love this board it is funny to listen to all the complaints.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If you have a new iPod touch, just plug it into your computer. After the iPod has been registered for the first time, click the button that says "Restore" in iTunes, and it will ask you if you'd like to restore from a backup. Just choose the backup, and your new iPod touch will have all the apps, settings, etc. as what you had before.

Welcome to MacRumors.

3. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

if you're looking to back up the actual music on it, you'll have to google for a program to rip them off of the device. The best way to go is to keep all your music in your itunes library and switch out the songs on the ipod periodically, as there is no standard way to back up all of the music and video etc content on it.

4. ascendedoshen thread starter macrumors member

Backup

Neither answer seems to answer my query. I want to backup my current itouch so I can jus copy it all to new one. So r u saying I want to restore then it will ask me. I want to backup info. I answer yes then it will restore. Is this correct? And if so then I can't save a backup unless I want to restore? Or can I jus backup and not restore?

5. Mugwumper macrumors regular

Well, maybe . . . ;^)

Yes, an iPod is "just a hard drive" but there's no real "backup" or "restore"
    functionality in that sense.

Your "backup", as others noted, is all the {music,video,podcast} files you
    have on your computer's internal hard drive. But it's you who organizes all
    your files the way you want them on the hard drive (with iTunes' help). So
    there's no "backup" function on your iPod or in iTunes, at least in the sense
    of SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner. A true backup of your iPod files is
    done through a TimeMachine or clone copy of *all* the files

To put all your "stuff" on a new iPod, you just synch it with your iTunes. So
    whatever is in your iTunes Library is what gets written out ("synched") to
    your iPod. That's the "restore" part of your question.

If you want your new iPod to look like the old, then make sure all the files
    you want are in your iTunes Library. Then, when you synch, they get written
    to the iPod.

Make sense? Hope so . . . ;^)

6. Mew2468 macrumors regular

Okay, I'll attempt to answer your question. When you plug in your iPod Touch, it will sync but it should also back it up. If it doesn't, you can right-click your iPod Touch in the sidebar and then select backup.

When you plug in your new iPod Touch, it will ask you if you want to set it up as a new iPod Touch, or restore it from a backup. There, it will let you choose which backup to restore from.

Hope I helped :).