Backing up iTunes library to external hd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by summero, Sep 22, 2007.

1. summero macrumors regular

summero

Okay, get ready for a couple questions...

How often do you guys backup your iTunes music library?
    Do you store your music on your computer or on an external hard drive or both?
    Do you have your iTunes Music folder located in your external hd so that it updates whenever you add new music to iTunes?
    Is it a good idea to delete your iTunes Music folder on your Mac and just have your music folder located in your external hd so that it updates whenever you add new music to iTunes?

Hopefully someone can answer those for me! :) Thanks in advance.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I back up my entire home folder once a week, or more often if I have created some crucial files. Thus. my iTunes folder gets backed up as part of this process.

3. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I have a dedicated external drive for iTunes. When I set up the mac I set iTunes to have that as the directory and off it goes. This way I am on the external drive and I can take it to work or wherever. I also have iTunes set to keep folder organized and copy new stuff to folder.

may not work for all but it works for me.

4. fredsherbet macrumors member

my itunes library runs off an external drive plugged into an xp machine on the home network. me and my wife use the same library, but if i need to take it with me, i can whip it out, modify the aliases on my macbook and all is happy :)

every night, the xp machine backs up the library to an internal drive... and then i guess my iPod classic is a third backup ;) i spent a lot of time organising my music. It's the only data i have archived, and would hate to lose it and have to start again, so i'm trying to be careful.

5. summero thread starter macrumors regular

summero

Anyone have an explanation as to why two of each song is added instead of just one when I add new music to my iTunes library?