Backing up iTunes library without 'backup to disc' option?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alexreich, Dec 6, 2011.

1. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Hey guys, Alex here.
    Lately I've been getting into backing up all of my data and having multiple copies of data in different places. Along the journey, I've recently gotten to my iTunes library. As I recall, there used to be a feature in iTunes that allowed you to backup your library to a DVD(s), but from what I've searched online the feature was removed.

Is there any other way to backup my library to a (DVD) disc?

For instance, in the Finder, could I not just drag and drop my iTunes folder into a Burn Folder and back it all up to multiple discs?

Now I know I could just backup the iTunes library on two or more hard drives, but I really don't trust hard drives. They're bound to fail.

Paranoia is a bitch. :D

2. waynep macrumors 6502

You can backup your iTunes folder. It will get everything.

Hard drives fail, CD's fail, DVD's fail . . most storage media will fail at some point in time. Don't think DVD's are never going to fail.

The best course of action is to have multiple copies. I send backups to a Time Capsule, and subscribe to an online service, CrashPlan. I also run a bootable image to a USB drive with Carbon Copy Cloner. So I have 4 copies of my data, one being off site in case of huge disaster.

Paranoia is not a bad thing when it comes to not wanting to lose any of your data.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I trust hard drives more than optical discs. Discs are far too susceptible to physical damage. Backing up to DVD is a bad idea, unless your iTunes library is only 2 or 3 albums.

4. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Raid1?

My Music Library is currently in two places; On my iPhone, and my server's HD. I would like to have it in one more place just in case something was to go terribly wrong.

My server has a 1.5TB in it, and I have another 1TB HD lying around which I was going to use to put in RAID1 with the other drive to backup my data, but from what I've read online, you shouldn't use RAID1 to backup data but for redundancy? I didn't understand the difference, so I haven't messed with it.

If RAID1 is the way to go, please let me know.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to use RAID for your backups. Just back up the same data on two different drives.

6. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Here's what I'm going to do.

The iTunes library will stay in its default location.
    I will back up that directory to another off-site hard drive.
    I will back up the original library to multiple discs via Finder.

Should be fool-proof.