Backing Up iTunes Library

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JamonBull, Jul 8, 2010.

1. JamonBull macrumors regular

JamonBull

I want to transfer my iTunes library to a new MacBook that I'm buying today. What's the best way to do it? I need to sell this computer before I get the new one so I won't be able to put a cable between them. If I just copy across the music folder in my iTunes media directory, will this be enough? I have lots of album booklets and iTunes LP stuff that I want across as well. The other option is of course the DVD backup system through iTunes. Which would you guys do? Thanks in advance.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Copying the iTunes folder (Macintosh HD / Users / You / Music / iTunes) will be sufficient if all your music resides in there. Don't you have an external HDD for a Time Machine backup or a SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner clone?

3. JamonBull thread starter macrumors regular

JamonBull

Ahhh good. I was worried the new iTunes wouldn't accept the iTunes LP files or album booklets unless they were properly backed up by the DVD method. But i've just tested the transfer by manually deleting and reloading an iTunes LP and it works! Woo! Thanks. Question answered.