BACKING UP, ITUNES only saves most current backup??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elykoj1, Dec 1, 2016.

1. elykoj1 macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 6 plus and a MacBook pro. when I backup my iPhone to my mac using iTunes everything works fine, but I noticed today that it is only storing my last backup?? I backup by plugging in to mac and noticed that the window that pops up with last backups done, only shows one entry... which is last backup performed.. can anyone help as to why?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

It's just a backup. Most backup schemes only store the latest backup. Time Machine is a notable exception.

3. rickdb1 macrumors newbie

Unless you archive the previous backups, I believe you will only see the most recent one..

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

It is a 'living' backup. It overwrites the old backup with only the new data. So the information that is added to the backup is only what has changed since the last backup was preformed. How long have you had an iPhone? Its been this way for over 9 years now.

5. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Do you think your laptop would have room for dedicated daily backups?

If you want to preserve a certain backup (which is recommended if you want to play around with iOS betas), you can always archive that particular iTunes backup. This way, it won't be overridden when you make subsequent backups.

6. elykoj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I was misinformed by Apple tech support.. I spoke with different tech last night about other issue and he stated same thing. thanks guys