Backing up iTunes problem...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Big Byte, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Big Byte macrumors regular

I recently purchased a Time Capsule to backup my work and to store my music (I needed a big storage device so that I can store my music in apple lossless format rather than MP3).

One by one I am importing my CDs into iTunes and then moving them (not copying them) into the Time Capsule.

The problem is that, when I move a CD and go back into iTunes, I have to "locate" each CD, which is rather time consuming as each track on the CD has to be located. With hundreds of CDs, this will take a lot more time than necessary, unless there is a quicker way to do so (e.g. importing a CD directly into the Time Capsule) that I do not know of.

Is there any other way I can, or should, be importing my CDs in order to save the time that I seem to be wasting? Thanks.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Go into iTunes prefs>Advanced, and move your iTunes library location to somewhere on your Time Capsule. Then Go to File Menu and hit Consolidate Library. It will move all of your files to your Time Capsule and then iTunes will know exactly where everything is.

This will leave a copy of your music on your local HDD that you can erase once the Consolidation is done.

4. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Shouldn't you just be able to burn the CDs in lossless or wave to a folder, then drag the folder to your new iTunes?

5. Big Byte thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

GimmeSlack12, you were right on. I did as you suggested and it worked perfectly. I'm certain that it will save me a lot of time.

But, while I have your attention, there is another small problem with my iTunes, as well.

Some CDs I have to rename, which I do in both iTunes and Finder. With some of them that I do, however, Finder "chooses" to place into a folder it creates named "Compilations" even though they are not (e.g. David Bowie's "Station to Station"). Once this happens, I move the CD out of the compilations folder and back into the folder it should be in (e.g. David Bowie), but, sooner or later, it's moved back into the folder called "Compilations", which I think usually happens after I import a CD that is in fact a compilation (e.g. a soundtrack to a movie).

Does anyone know why this is and if there is anyway around it?

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Not sure why a non-compilation track is labeled one at Import. But you can turn off the Compilation tag by getting info on that song and uncheck "Part of Compilation".

7. Big Byte thread starter macrumors regular

GimmeSlack12, once again your suggestion worked and once again I thank-you. I don't know why iTunes is labeling some CDs as a "compilation", but unclicking the tag seems to work.

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I, as many others here, have spent many, many hours getting our iTunes libraries to be peeeerfect. So I've learned many proper ways to get stuff organized right.

9. Big Byte thread starter macrumors regular

I know how you feel - it really is a great application, particularly once you know how to use it efficiently. Just being able to pop in a CD and have iTunes find the CD name, artist and track listing (even for some pretty obscure CDs) is awesome.

Mind you, I was pretty disappointed with the sound quality when I imported everything in MP3 format, so I had to get an external hard drive to import everything in apple lossless audio (and also to back up my work).

Now, when I get home at night, I just hookup my laptop to my Time Capsule and it's like having my own personal DJ. I also enjoy being able to scroll through album artwork and track listings at the same time. So cool!