Backing up iTunes to a DVD+R DL

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by washer, May 18, 2009.

1. washer macrumors member

I have been having trouble backing up to a DL DVD. When I input the disc, it says "this is not a blank disc" and spits it out. I got around it once by letting the dialogue in the finder pop up and selected "open in itunes" and then clicked backed up from there. I have tried this twice and both discs started burning, but ended in an error roughly 10 minutes later stating "The attempt to burn a disc failed. The device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry."

I have tried two separate brands of discs, one being a brand new spool.

I had some trouble with my MacBook Pro not burning DL DVD's last month and I took it to see a genius, and of course it worked in the store.

Any help please?

2. washer thread starter macrumors member

Bump? Any help out there? I haven't heard back from anyone here or on Apple's forums.

Thanks in advance.

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I had some similar problems burning to DVD's, it turn out dust was the cause of the errors. I used a lens cleaning CD, but a can of compressed air would work too. I no longer get hardware errors such as the device failing to respond.

4. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

If your trying to back up your iTunes music, can't you just go to your iTunes Music folder and burn that on the dvd? or are you having problems burning any dvd with anything on it?