Backing up Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cookietrog, Apr 29, 2011.

1. cookietrog macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So I've been trying to find a thread about this, but was unable to so I am gonna post my own. I'm looking for a way to backup my jailbroken iphone so that if for some reason I need to take it to the apple store, I can restore it to factory settings and then easily be able to bring it back to its normal jailbroken state. I've heard of PKGBackup and I am going to try this but I didn't know exactly what this backs up. Does it backup all my apps from installous and all the packages I've downloaded? Does it do just the packages? Just my apps?

I just wanna be able to keep all this stuff in case I need to go to apple and it was a pain in the but trying to install all of the right stuff (did it myself as a 1st timer) and I don't wanna struggle through it again. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

2. flyingninjas macrumors member

i have done this a couple times to upgrade ios and migrate to a new device:

use aptbackup to backup list of installed things in cydia
    use appbackup to backup app store app data

folders to copy using ssh or something
    entire library folder (/var/mobile/library)
    themes folder(/var/stash/themes.xxxxxx)
    photos with windowns explorer
    homescreen layout (library/sbringboard/iconstate.plist)
    roms and data (var/mobile/Media/ROMs)
    sbsettings layout
    active themes

backup ur iphone in itunes

note that not everything is required so if you dont care about homescreen icon layout or you dont have any emulators dont copy those folders.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

4. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    to mention the app that we dont mention on these forums - installious
    i find that these are backed up with itunes and apt-backup
    but i was missing a lot of my sbs settings and other mods which pkgbackup offers

5. GeekAhead macrumors member

GeekAhead

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It's in one of the default repos. Just search for PkgBackup.

7. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I wish i could sing the praises of AptBackup and PkgBackup but recently when i went from 4.3.1 to 4.3.2 I ran both programs but neither restored my cydia apps!

The other time i used them, they partially worked, meaning it restored some but not all apps and tweaks! one kept failing saying it needed an internet connection to work, even though it was connected to data:confused:

I read somewhere else where others reported issues to try CyBackup, but cant find it on cydia.

8. cookietrog thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm...well I will give it all a try. It's worth a shot I guess.

9. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I hear AptBackup is crap, but PkgBackup has been working for me through several generations of jailbreak on both my 3gs and iP4.

10. zvandiver macrumors member

I used Pkgbackup for my last two jailbreaks, and it restored everything except Overboard and my Activator gestures. It now backs up and restores your themes and Springboard icon order. I have it set to backup to my Dropbox account. All I do after jailbreaking is install Pkgbackup from Cydia and log in to my Dropbox account and restore.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

just finally upgraded to 4.3.2 yeah I took my sweet time. edited my packages and sources got rid of boot logo's for now. did a fresh backup via itunes and pkgbackup via dropbox. ran redsn0w everything is perfect. so perfect I had go to general setting and double check the firmware. oh besides pkgbackup I have SBOrganizer which works with pkgbackup. The wjole upgrade process was around 30 minutes I would say under that.

12. cookietrog thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I backup from dropbox??

13. zvandiver macrumors member

Under settings you have the choice of backing up to your address book or to Dropbox. Choose Dropbox, enter your id and password, and you are good to go. If you use Dropbox, you don't have to worry about something happening to your address book backup.

14. ACint24 macrumors member

Does PkgBackup backup everything right on your iPhone or do you need to hook it up to your computer after you install the program?

15. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

It backs up to either an entry in your address book (which goes to your computer when you backup with itunes) or you can upload it to Dropbox. In either case it's off the phone until you restore.

16. zvandiver macrumors member

As I understand it, PkgBackup doesn't back up the actual program, just a list of the jb apps you have installed. If you backup to Dropbox, PkgBackup will fetch the list from Dropbox, and then access Cydia to reinstall everything. If you store the list in your address book, you would have to restore the address book from your computer, then have PkgBackup fetch the apps.

17. zvandiver macrumors member

18. Thomasba58 macrumors member

Thomasba58

PkgBackup everytime....aptbackup gave me nothing but problems at the end of the day you get what you pay for

19. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Past 2 years I've been an avid advocate for PKGBackup. However, last to restore attempts using DropBox have failed miserably. I can log in and link to DropBox alright and view existing backups but PKGBackup doesn't seem to pick up the restore points at all when trying to restore.

The app has gone through frequent updates and I suspect that there are compatibility issues between the most current v.4.3.3 and previous backup index's.

It was fun while it lasted but I'm dropping this software altogether now :eek:

20. MrJrock macrumors newbie

iPhone backup

So I'm pretty ignorant about my phone. Last year I purchased a jailbroken phone over eBay. The phone came with the 4.0os and several apps. I believe the some the apps were downloaded from the app store, but when I bck up through iTunes they do not show as backed up. I'm not sure how these apps were downloaded to the phone since I did not do it, but I would like to keep them.
    What would be the best way to back up all my apps so I can upgrade to the newest OS.
    Thanks for any info.

21. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

^ This. PkgBackup worked great for me for awhile but whenever the dev decided to incorporate the DropBox integration, the app went to crap for me. Really liked the simplicity of the app but it just wasn't cutting it for me anymore.

22. johnNYChingaz macrumors member

for some reason or other pkgbackup does not work for me... am i supposed to do something through SHH?

lately i have to do everything manually, sucks ass...

23. zvandiver macrumors member

Check out the tutorial link in my earlier post. It goes through the entire process in detail.

24. johnNYChingaz macrumors member