Backing up jailbroken data?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by darbyclash34, Feb 1, 2009.

1. darbyclash34 macrumors regular

So I would like to update to 2.2.1 and I saw quickpwn is now compatible. The question I have is will I lose the jailbroken apps, etc that I have now? I just consolidated 5 pages of apps into categories and don't really relish the thought of doing it all over, plus the UI tweaks I've done. This will be my first update so I wasn't sure how that works. Thanks for all of your help, these forums are the best!

2. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016...e:forums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=all&meta=

It worries me that people don't know how to search... :(

But before you do anything... Get rid of Categories. Get all the apps out of the folders. You will most likely run into many problems if you don't.

Here's a quick guide on what to do:
    • Download AptBackup from Cydia.
    • Backup your JB apps.
    • SSH anything else you want to keep to your Mac/PC.
    • Sync your phone in iTunes.
    • Restore.
    • Jailbreak.
    • Restore your iPhone backup onto the phone.
    • Download AptBackup (again).
    • Restore all your apps.
    • SSH the other files back onto the phone in the correct places.
    • Ta da.

3. darbyclash34 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answer man. I had tried searching and seen some conflicting answers. That sucks about categories, is there any alternatives that are ok? Thanks again for your help!

4. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Categories is okay to use, it's just got problems when you restore and such. Personally I no longer use it, because by the time the folder opened I could've found the app I was looking for anyway :p

5. darbyclash34 thread starter macrumors regular

It seems like the problems are a result of hiding apps. Do you know of any problems other than that?