Backing up jailbroken/unlocked iPhone to new iTunes

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sela427, Mar 3, 2012.

1. sela427 macrumors newbie

I have a 3gs iPhone which is jailbroken and unlocked so I could use a pre-paid SIM card when I moved abroad. I was backing it up through iTunes until my personal computer was stolen. Now I have re-downloaded iTunes on a new external harddrive via my work computer and want to back up my iPhone but am afraid of erasing data in the process and want to maintain it as jailbroken and unlocked. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

2. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

If u plug it in to your new iTunes what does it say

3. sela427 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hah I've been too afraid to try- but obviously that's the first step. Should I change any settings on either the iPhone or iTunes before plugging it in? I'm just terrified it will be restored and blanked inadvertently.

4. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Oh you will def get a message of some sort. It won't just delete it all. My mom had her pc stolen too and somehow it ended up being fine. What is it you CAN'T lose on your phone? Music? Contacts? You. Could back up what you need via iCloud or a 3rd party program. Put it all on new pc and you're pretty much where you were

5. sela427 thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm really only concerned with music and contacts. My apps are mostly free or inexpensively replaced. I also want to be careful not to lock/unjailbreak the phone in the process. Where can I find guidance on backing up using iCloud or a 3rd party program?

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

there is a possibility since it's the same hard drive you will be fine if not do the fallowing. load itunes very top of itunes top left you will see several pull down go to Advanced scroll down authorize your computer. Also store again authorize it if needed now go to edit transfer purchases. after it all done you can safely backup again just don't update your firmware unless you want to rejailbreak and unlock again.

i have changed computers at least 3 times since my original 3g never had a problem transferring my itunes info..