Backing Up Large Iphoto collection to DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Robg54, May 1, 2009.

1. Robg54 macrumors member

I take pics. A Lot. I have about 13000 photos that total about 42 gigs in my iphoto library. I have an external hd and do regular time machine backups. I use mozy for extra regular backups of smaller stuff like documents and mail folder, but the free version is only 2 gigs unless I can get like a million referrals. Consequently, I try to do iphoto backups on dvd every once in a while, maybe monthly.

My issue is that it is a pain in the ass to do it in iphoto, to play with each of about 10 dvds to get it right...

I would like it if there was an easy (and free) way to backup the library to dvd in one go. A plugin for iphoto would be nice, but anything that can do it relatively easily would be very welcome.

I downloaded "Backup," "Data Backup" and "iBackup" but none seemed to do what I want. (Well, Backup did seem to do exactly what I want, but the free version won't do it for the amount of files I have).

So, I figured I'd ask if you know of a program that suits what I'm looking for...

2. Robg54 thread starter macrumors member

Ooh well

I guess everyone uses the iphoto burn option to backup by media?

I wish it was easier, but I'll goo through my albums and sort them into 10ish dvds manually...

3. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

I would just click on Sort By Date in iPhoto and then hightlight the ones from the last burn date to the last photo you took. Takes about 5 seconds and then send those to iDVD to burn.