Backing up Mac Hard Drive using WD My Book World Edition 1TB Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vaughn2008, Sep 8, 2008.

1. vaughn2008 macrumors newbie

I am a newbie with Mac. I am trying to back up the hard drive of an older desktop using a Western Digital My Book World Edition 1TB drive. I am not able to get the Mac to recognize the MyBook Drive. I am using a USB Data Transfer Cable. Can nayone offer any suggestions?

Thank You
    Vaughn2008

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

How is the drive formated? If needed you can go to to Finder and type Disk Utility and then open up Disk Utilities and format it to a Mac format if you are copying another Mac HDD. If you are making a complete backup of the drive I'd suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

Hope this helps.

3. jsgrabo macrumors regular

how old is the mac? if the mac only has usb 1.1 ports and not usb 2.0, that may cause problems. would be best with firewire if thats the case. the "my book" should be able to do firewire as well. give that a try.

4. vaughn2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Backing up Mac using WD My Book World edition

The Mac is not new. It usesMac OS 10.4 X.

I am not sure if the USB ports are 1.0 or 2.0 but would expect that should only effect speed.

The WD My Book World Edition does not have a Firewire port

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You really need to answer the question posted by cyclingplatypus above before we can really give any meaningful help.

In addition is this a new drive? If so it is probably formatted from the factory with a PC format and will need to be reformatted as Mac OS Extended.

On the other hand if is has already been Mac formatted and has worked on other Macs, that leads down another troubleshooting path.

6. vorkorsigan macrumors member

Mybook world ed. is a NAS drive

The world edition is a NAS drive, its USB is for drive expansion not for connection. You need to plug it into the router as a SMB drive. See the WD forums for help with this.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Excellent catch! I didn't even realize that WD made a NAS drive in the seemingly endless MyBook variations!