Backing up Mac OS Lion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by detroitreds, Dec 7, 2011.

1. detroitreds macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new iMac, which comes with Lion. Where would I go to download it for backup?

2. Sandman1969, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

3. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

Mine came with: iMac, single wire power supply, Wireless keyboard, Wireless Trackpad, and a little welcome book and some stickers. No discs, no product keys...

4. detroitreds thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what's standard with previous OS, but I see iPhoto, Garage Band, iMovie, Photo Booth. Launch Pad I think is new with Lion OS (like iPod OS screen scroll)...and a bunch of other, but I think those would be the ones for purchase.

Regarding the link your provided, I had found it. But since I didn't purchase the OS (came pre-loaded in iMac), I don't see in the purchased Apps. Since this is my first ever Mac, other than Time Machine (which I haven't looked at much yet), I would not know how to restore the OS. I obviously need to learn a lot more, but I'm not getting how I'm supposed to install an OS to a brand new HD lets say, without a hard copy OS.

5. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Hmmm... I would have to look for that information. I am sure someone here can get you the info.

Nowadays you can do a network install of Lion. I don't know if you can get a dmg that way, or if it is only during initial boot up. I haven't' read up on that since I don't have to worry about. I bought Lion when it came out and have since made a DVD.
    I would hope there is someway to do it in your situation.

6. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Sorry double-post...

Apple also offers a Thumb Drive of Lion, though you shouldn't have to buy that. THere has to be a way to make a thumb drive or DVD of the image yourself...

7. jeboles, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

jeboles macrumors newbie

Press Command and R at the same time when starting the machine. If drive is completely blank, it will ask to connect to a wireless network and pull the bits.

8. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Your machine has recovery code built in. If you want to reinstall, you do not need physical media... just a reasonable internet connection. The download is 4GB. If you have a lousy internet connection, then you may want to get the USB thumb drive, but if your network connection is good, I would just not worry about it.

/Jim