Backing up Mac Pros (750GB)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by total1, Nov 15, 2007.

1. total1 macrumors newbie

mac pro 3GB RAM 750GB HD w/ Intel Zeon Processor

My client has the above MAC (several of them) and he's not made any backups of his data!

What utilities should he obtain for 1) file/directory backups; 2) image backup/restores; 3) Internet/online backups.

Would a Maxtor One or a Buffalo USB drive work? How about RAIDed drives etc.? [I've got experience with MS apps etc.]

TIA,
    Total1

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I recommend he gets a 1TB external firewire HD, and uses Mac OSX's built in Time Machine if he has Leopard, or Carbon Copy Cloner if he has Tiger :)

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I agree. If he doesn't have all the internal slots filled, get internal disks since they are much cheaper, and take up less room of course.

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I am new to the Mac. So new I am waiting for the new Penryn before I buy. I do have a question. I thought "Time Machine" only backed up to an external drive. Please let me know if I am right or wrong.

5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

You are wrong. It backs up to any drive other than the startup drive. Since the MacPro has 4 drive bays, it's simple to set one of them up for TM. That's what I did. I have a startup drive, temporary storage drive, a Time Machine drive and the 4th drive has Tiger installed. I'll be erasing the Tiger drive soon as I'm confident with Leopard. If a person needs to use all of the drive bays for other stuff, then they can always setup an external firewire drive for TM.