backing Up Macbook from Install CD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mikey82, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Mikey82 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

My new 2.23Ghz Macbook has stopped starting up.

Ran a hardware test... said its fine... rain diskutility says I need to reinstall... lots of red text.

Before I reinstall i'd really like to back some stuff up.... I cant do the 'hold down t at start up trick though' .. because theres no firewire port... whats the best way do backup then?

there are network options... Should I ethernet it to another mac..? I plugged it in and my mac didn't recognise it... Could someone lend a hand?

Mike

2. johnnyham macrumors regular

At this point, your best bet would be to either remove the hard drive and hook it up to an external enclosure, allowing you to backup all your data to another computer, or try booting it up with a Linux live disc and transferring things off via USB or Ethernet. If you don't have any Linux experience, I'd recommend going with the external enclosure route. If you don't have one, you could probably borrow one from a friend. If you can't find one to borrow, you could always buy one at your local computer hardware store, or buy one off Newegg. They have some cheap ones running anywhere from $10 to $40.

If you want to go the Linux route, I'm a personal fan of Ubuntu, although just about any Live CD distro will work fine. Once it's running, you can use software such as Kermit to transfer your files to another computer via USB or Ethernet.

3. Mikey82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info.

Much Appreciated.!

Looks like I'll get an enclosure.

I'm suprised This has happened so soon after getting the mac. I'm my 7th mac and it's never crumbled this quickly. Badly missing a firewire port.

Also, will it put the other computer at risk at all hooking it up to a disk with corrupted files?

mike

4. johnnyham macrumors regular

Sorry that I'm replying so late to this, but hopefully you've either figured it out or gotten an answer elsewhere.

Your other computer won't suffer any issues due to the corrupted files. You will have to either replace or repair them though, if you want to keep them.