Backing Up MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warburg, Jul 21, 2019.

1. warburg macrumors 6502a

Now that we no longer have iTunes, how does one back up the MacBook Pro? I keep getting notifications that I haven't backed up the computer–now for 197 days. I have an external drive that I use for backups, but that's clearly not what's meant.

2. pshufd macrumors 65816

You backup the MacBook Pro with Time Machine, not iTunes. iTunes is used to backup your mobile devices to your Mac.

3. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I didn't know Time Machine existed. Could you tell me how to use it for a backup?

4. pshufd macrumors 65816

You attach an external drive (network or physical connection), go into Settings and select Time Machine.

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Better solution:
    Download CarbonCopyCloner from here:
    Carbon Copy Cloner - Download
    It's free to download and use for 30 days
    Open CCC and accept the defaults
    Put the source drive on the left
    Put the "target" (backup) drive in the middle
    Leave the right side as it is
    Click clone.
    Wait while the clone is created.
    Done.

6. leman macrumors G3

I wouldn’t really describe CarbonCopyCloner as a better solution (nor do I see why would one pay money for software that basically schedules rsync runs for you), but everyone has their favorite tool. At any rate, Time Machine is free, is reasonably fast, reasonably reliable (if you use it redundantly), does versioned backup, can be used over wireless, and is directly included in your OS.

7. pshufd macrumors 65816

I've used CCC and SuperDuper in the past. They're fine if you want a point-in-time backup but the versioned backup adds an additional dimension to being able to retrieve files accidentally deleted or lost that may not be in point-in-time backups.