Backing Up Macintosh HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by speedemonV12, Jun 23, 2007.

1. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

Hello everyone, Im currently gettin ready for a backup, and I need some help. The first thing that I am doing, is copying over my important files to an external hd. Im copying all these files first because I plan to do a fresh install, copy back all my files, and then clone my fresh install with everything I the way I like. So I have successfully copied over my music files, and all the other files that I wanted. But I still have the problem of applications. I don't want to have to reinstall, and then download all the apps, and then insert the cd keys again. Is there a way to copy over my apps and the license key? Like is the key located in the .plist files?

Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

For many apps, copying across the Applications folder and the Application Support folder should suffice. On top of that, copy your Home folder which will contain the preferences. However, the preferences do not contain your keys. You should keep a hard copy of all your keys in case you need them at any stage.

3. speedemonV12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok thanks... but what about if i wanted to do just specific apps, i would then copy over the program, and the application support folder for that program, and then find the plist for it also?