Backing up Mavericks OS for future use?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by 7enderbender, Jun 3, 2014.

1. 7enderbender macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

How can I create installation disks or other backups so that going forward I can make sure to stay on the same platform on all computers in the house?

I currently have a Mac Mini and two Macbook pros and see no reason to ever "upgrade" to Yosemite. I'll be buying another iMac soon and I'm not sure yet when exactly. I'd like to stay on Mavericks on all computers and not deal with new (mostly useless) stuff again. I'd rather stay with the bugs I know.

I'm not the type who wants to learn a new interface and settings every year or so. So there must be a way to have a installation copy of Mavericks around that can go on all machines at all times if necessary.

Thanks.

2. hologram macrumors 6502

You can download the full 5.6gb Mavericks (10.9.3) installer from the App store.

3. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

Thanks!

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Note that if you buy a computer post-Yosemite release, there is no guarantee that it will actually run Mavericks. It's possible if the hardware came out before Yosemite goes public, but hardware released after that will almost definitely not be supported.

I would actually suggest tying it out on *one* machine when it's finally released in the fall, after making a full time machine backup. If it's truly something you can't live with, you can just restore back to the old setup.

6. 7enderbender thread starter macrumors 6502a

7enderbender

That's a good point. And all the more reason to buy the one missing iMac for our home ahead of time. Just like I will get a replacement iPhone 5s soon.
    Then I should be good for a few years. What happens after that I don't know. I don't like updating hardware and software all the time once stuff works for what I do.

And if Apple insists on large phones, cater to people interested in expensive cheap headphones and operating system design for consumer only users (just like Windows did with Win 8 which drove me away from there) I may have to look elsewhere again in a few years.

They should stop creating senseless eye candy and focus on bug fixing (or not releasing buggy stuff to begin with rather)