Backing up MBP HDD on PC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingping14, Jan 10, 2012.

1. kingping14 macrumors member

I think my MBP may have actually died, its time to cut my losses and move on. I'm planning to sell it for scraps and salvage what I can from it before buying a new one.

I do have a question regarding backing up my MBP's HDD, my only other computer is a PC and I've taken the HDD out and plugged it in the PC, it wont read so I used Macdrive to read it. My question is if I copy the entire contents of the drive onto my PC how can I extract information from it later on? All my email and school stuff is on the HDD, its not important that I retrieve the information asap but I would like to back it up and load it onto my new MBP when I get it.

thanks in advance

2. simsaladimbamba

Can't you keep the original HDD? It would be much easier to restore from it, than from a copy made to Windows, though that copy should include all your mails and such, as they are stored inside your Home folder (Macintosh HD / Users / YOU).

3. kingping14 thread starter macrumors member

I'd assume whoever buys it will want everything, is it a hassle to backup via windows? will I be able to extract the data later on?

4. simsaladimbamba

What MBP is it exactly? Have you connected your Mac to the Windows PC via Target Disk Mode?
    But you will be able to extract the data later on too.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only issue is if you use window with copying to windows is losing the metadata that is stored. Why not get an inexpensive external drive, back up your data to that and then do what you want with the laptop's hard drive

Trying to store your data on a NTFS volume introduces risks and there are other better solutions available imo

6. kingping14 thread starter macrumors member

its a 2010 13", I dont think I can get into target disk mode the macbook wont even boot

----------

I have an external hdd, and its in the exFAT format, I still dont see how I can copy the data from the MBP hdd to the external without using a windows computer (which is all I have at the moment).

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You do seem a bit stuck since you have no Mac. Why not keep the HD until such time you can buy another Mac?

8. kingping14 thread starter macrumors member

If I have access to another Mac, how would I go about extracting files out of my current HDD?

9. simsaladimbamba

Get it out, put it into an enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs using the USB 2.0 interface (such enclosures cost as low as 10 €), connect the HDD to your other Mac and clone the contents of it to another empty HDD or one you can spare.

Look at the first link for guides on how to extract the HDD, the second link for information on how to format an extra HDD you can clone to.

I guess, you don't have an Apple Care Protection Plan, which covers any manufacturing defects on your 2010 MBP till 2013?

10. kingping14 thread starter macrumors member

thank you for your help, unfortunately I do not have applecare, lesson learned for next time I guess

11. kingping14 thread starter macrumors member

sorry guys I have one more question, if I found another MBP 13" 2010 model and I plugged my HDD into that one will it work?

12. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

13. simsaladimbamba

Yes, or any 2011 or 2009 Mac.

14. unixperience macrumors regular

or 08 -07... etc they should all be able to read your files. as long as its a mac you should be fine. a nice trick could be to get a bootcamped mac (can read both windows and mac) go to the windows partition and just copy and write files to a drive of any format... even NTFS. you may not be able to modify the files on any WIndows computers (without the proper HFS drivers of course), but you should be able to at least view them.

also if you buy another external hdd, you should look at hdds that say they include drivers to read mac files. I know many WesterDigital and Segate hdds have those drives. It says it on the box, just look for those that say windows and mac compatible. but once you have the drivers, you can read it directly off the mac hdd even. but again you cant write to them, but you can view em

hope this helps