backing up microsoft office

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superspud, Jan 7, 2008.

1. superspud macrumors regular

im about to install leopard and the only app i want to back up is microsoft office but i have no clue how. i dont have the discs for it and i want to move it to my external hard drive

help!

2. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

edit - i just dragged and dropped it into my external hard drive... is that all i need to do?

3. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

If you just dragged and dropped the ENTIRE Microsoft Office 2004 folder, you're probably OK. Note that only Office X and Office 2004 are compatible with Leopard.

4. superspud thread starter macrumors regular

yep it worked... i did the same with photoshop and several other programs. god i love mac.....

5. Stitzu macrumors member

You might also want to consider backing up the preference and application support files in ~/Library/Preferences/ and ~/Library/Application Support/. AppZapper will help you find these files for each application and give you their exact location, but you just won't want to actually "zap" the applications and this way you won't need to bother setting up all your applications to the way you like them all over again. ;)

6. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Actually, AppZapper only works as expected if the program name can be found in the preferences as well. It just uses Spotlight to find other stuff pertinent to the program, so it fails with Microsoft Office. It only finds installed applications and their preferences, but fails to see that Office includes the entire Microsoft Office 2004 folder.

7. Stitzu macrumors member

Ah yes that is true, I should have actually check to see if it would work correctly with Microsoft Office. However, I guess it could still come in handy for finding the files for most smaller applications. ;)