backing up my mac onto my ps3 HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Greenman85, Dec 22, 2009.

1. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

You cant...

Well, you can pull out the hard drive of the PS3 and pop it into a SATA 2.5" external enclosure. Format the drive, and then back stuff up... But this cripples the PS3.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

not if you partition it

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I never tried partitioning it (other than using the built in tool for a linux partition), so never commented on that... But my point was more of the fact there would be no hard drive in the ps3 while it is in an external enclosure connected to the computer ;)

4. Greenman85 thread starter macrumors regular

i dont get it. whats the point of the 250 gig hd if i cant put stuff on it? there has to be a way to do this.

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

It is not meant to back up computer files......You can transfer compatible movie files to it, music, pictures.
    Download movies from the PSN store, download games, game updates, save games, downloadable content.

The console was never meant as a data backup device, don't know where you got that idea.....:confused:

6. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

Wait, so you're saying you went out to the store, bought a PS3 Hard Drive, trying to use it as an External Hard Drive, and don't even have a PS3? FAIL!

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I think he went and bought a PS3, not just the hard drive...
    Also the PS3 hard drive is jsut a standard 2.5" sata drive, so even if he did just buy that he could get an external enclosure for 10 dollars or so and be set.