Backing up my mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stefmesman, Jan 4, 2011.

1. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So i was thinking about backing up my imac through time machine. Howmany gb would i need? I have an 1tb imac wich i never let go past half full. (moslty around 600gb free) and i will expand later with an xtra macbook. So... Howmany storage would i need for a decent backup?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I would get a TB or more. WD Mybook's are great and their not that expensive.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Usually 1.5x your hard drive's capacity is recommended.

4. diazj3, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

diazj3 macrumors 6502a

well... if currently you have around 500GB to backup, and you will have a laptop too - so that'd be around another 200GB more, and taking into account that any hard drive must be left with 10-15% space free to work properly... the you'd need at least 1TB.

But remember there are two kinds of backups:

a) Incremental/historic Backups, such as time machine, that makes a security historic backup of all your files, even those that are deleted, but is not bootable.... as the external drive fills up, it will delete older copies of files.

And b) bootable clones, that take a snapshot of all your files, including system and apps, at the time of the backup and that is bootable. IMO a bootable clone is mandatory, and a Time Machine backup is optional, but thats depending on your workflow and preferences.

The best would be to have both: a Time Machine backup for files, running all the time, in case you accidentally delete something or your machine suddenly goes to hell, so you have a backup of the latest file to the minute... and a clone (or bootable backup) updated weekly, to make sure you have a backup of all your apps and preferences. That way, if the worst happens, you have a way to boot into the system and apps in another computer, and access your files, and restore everything in a wink of an eye.

So... back to the external drive size... if you want to have both kinds of backup, I'd suggest you get 2TB. The more space, the better, and the price difference is small. Now, regarding Firewire and/or USB, I'd go with one that has FW and USB... but you can save a few bucks by going with a USB-only drive, and apart from the read/write speeds, you dont loose much. This and this seem to be good basic alternatives - the second one having both USB 3.0 and 2.0, so its kind of "future-proof", even when macs dont support USB 3.0 for now.

cheers!

5. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What do you guys think of using time capsule? Intern disc for time machine. And external plugged trough usb for a copy of all apps and preferences? How does time capsule cope with 2 macs?

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Time Capsules are no good. They fail after 18 months. Go with a WD or Seagate.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My iMac has a 320GB harddrive and I have a LaCie 500GB external harddrive hooked up for Time Machine. So, I would get a 2TB one OP.

8. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else have bad expiriences on time capsule?

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Unless you direly need the NAS or router functions of a TC, a simple USB drive will work fine, and cost a heck of a lot less.

I've never owned a TC, but I've read many stories of failed drives. Those things are too expensive to fail at that rate, IMO.

10. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If your router can use an upgrade and since you have a Macbook on the way, buy a 2TB refurbished TC from the Apple Store.

If the only thing you need to backup is the iMac and your router is already "n" good enough, I agree with others and just buy a USB drive.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The drive doesn't fail it's the power supply that has failed in almost every first generation TC. Your data remains safe on the drive in the non-functional unit. Hopefully they learned from their experience.

I concur though that for an iMac and Macbook, you are better off sticking a USB or FireWire drive off the iMac and still back up wirelessly from the Macbook.

The NAS is more important if you don't have a desktop Mac or you have more than two wireless clients to back up.

B