Backing up network password???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peejack, Nov 12, 2009.

1. peejack macrumors 6502a

Hi I wondered if anyone could help.

I need to make a transfer of my current mbp hd to a new one. I presume time machine would be the best way to do this?

I need to backup and put on to my new system the password of the wireless network at work, how can I back this up and transfer to the new machine when I have done a fresh install?

Many thanks.

2. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I've not tried it, but can't you transfer your files using Firewire during the setup process of the new machine?

The password would be contained in the Keychain, so presumably would be included in any transfer, or backup.

3. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks yeh I think you can, but what if I wanted to do a fresh install and just restore the network passwords?

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

In that case, I can't really help, sorry; I don't use Time Machine so I don't know if it's possible to just restore the Keyring and nothing else.

If not, your best bet might be to make a note of all the passwords (you can view them through Keychain Access) and then enter them the first time you try to join each network. It's a bit of a chore, but if all else fails..

5. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

ah excellent thats just what I was looking to do. Thanks.