Backing up Networked Ext. HardDrive in Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by musedoasis, Aug 31, 2011.

1. musedoasis macrumors newbie

So I have an external hard drive that I use that's hooked through the USB of my time machine. Now that my Itunes library is getting rather large I'd like to move the whole thing to my external to use. I know that you can wake the drive to be accessable for Itunes libraries, but does Time Machine also back up the drives that are hooked through it so that my Itunes library isn't only on my networked external? Or just the internal drive of your comp?

Been looking for articles but to no luck.

Thanks.

2. DESNOS macrumors 6502

Is the drive connected to your computer, or to your router? I'm not 100% sure what you mean.

If the partition being used to store the iTunes library is the same as the one used to backup via Time Machine, it will not back up the drive. You can however resize the Time Machine partition, and make a partition dedicated to your iTunes library. You may be also able to image the current time machine partition into a sparse bundle and backup to that instead of the main drive. I can show you a step by step if that method interests you. It would allow you to use one partition, avoiding the negatives of partitioning.

3. musedoasis thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for being confusing. I have my TimeMachine which backs up my macbooks internal harddrive. What I can't figure out is if that TimeMachine could also back up the external harddrive that's plugged to it's USB.

Do I have to split the 1TB into two partitions? One for each?

4. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Time machine can't backup a networked drive. Only one drive.

Any particular reason why you want to do this anyway?

iTunes is very laggy when pulling from a network drive, also if the drive disconnects your iTunes can crash. I have also had my entire computer lockup because of this.

It's much faster on the internal, and less to worry about. I recommend you not worry about space so much. My MacBook ran perfectly fine with 1gb of free space left for months. I didn't even know if was so full.

Things that can also be taking up a lot of space that you might not know about are your downloads folder as well as your email inbox. (if you use pop, all of your email is downloaded locally, mine got to 30 gigs over 3 years!!)