Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pidrummer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Portland, OR
I killed my unibody white macbook last week with some cool aid, and just bought a 2012 MacBook Pro for a replacement. My SSD from it still seems to work. How would I go about making a backup of my now external SSD which has 2 partitions (OSX 10.6 and OSX 10.10) and restore from that backup so it will work with my newer hardware?

If it makes any difference, only the partition with 10.6 is still important to me.
Thanks for any input!

----------

To make this concise:
My goal is to keep the info on my old SSD and reuse it as the main startup disk for my replacement MacBook Pro. It obviously won't startup from the SSD since it since OSX was installed for older hardware.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Where is the old drive now?
- still in the Macbook?
- in an enclosure or dock?
- in your hand?

My advice:
1. Take old drive out of old MacBook
2. Get a USB3/SATA docking station
3. Put old drive into dock, connect to new MBPro
4. Use Migration Assistant to move your apps, accounts, settings and files over.
4a. If Migration Assistant can't do what you want, move things manually.

Once this is done, if the old drive still seems fine, re-initialize it and use it (and the dock) as a backup drive for the new MBPro.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
... How would I go about making a backup of my now external SSD which has 2 partitions (OS X 10.6 and OS X 10.10) and restore from that backup so it will work with my newer hardware?...

Use Aple's "Migration Assistant" it is designed to do exactly what you need. Google will turn up all kinds of help.

What you need to do next is set up Time Machine as soon as you can. And then some other redundant backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.