backing up on external hd thro time capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kristalghost, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Kristalghost macrumors member

hi,
    with the new update of the time capsule I'm thinking of buying one but i've got a question that as now still hasn't been answered.
    I'm currently using a 500 GB external drive for my backups and use a 1 TB for data storage, now the 1 TB is almost full and I could use the HD in the time capsule.
    my problem now is that the 1 TB or 2 TB in the time capsule is pure waste for backup only as I am the only mac user here and the 500 GB drive isn't even halfway full at the moment.
    my question now is, is it possible to plug the 500 GB and 1 TB drive in the time capsule (with powered usb hub) and use the 500 GB disk as a automatically backup and use the 1 TB and the time capsule for data storage?
    With automatically I mean as the time capsule that it backups as soon as I'm in the network.

is this possible? I've been trying to contact the technical support line of my local apple-store but keep getting answering machine.

any help/advise is welcome and please no bitching about why and sorts, its all in the message, just read it.

thanks in advance,
    kristalghost

2. Kristalghost thread starter macrumors member