backing up on new mac

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hatersgonnahate, Apr 18, 2011.

1. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

so i just bought a new mac. my old laptop died on me, where i have my apps backed up. i just downloaded the latest itunes, cancelled on the update, and backed up my contacts. i dont think it backed up my apps.

should i try 'sync apps'? but when i do this wouldnt it delete my current apps?

thanks in advance.

2. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

was this such a noob question?

i havent backed up on a new computer. :p

3. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

something like this happened to my friend (on 4.1); she lost all her (non-default) apps, and had to re-download them from the apple store.
    she lost some settings, (ie game scores or something), but got everything else back.

back up your MAC to another drive first, so you don't risk losing anything, and set your choices (ie what to sync, etc) in itunes.

worse-case, you'll need to re-download apps (but you won't have to re-purchase anything)...

4. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah im basically trying to back up my apps without deleting them. since i no longer have the computer that has my original back ups.

5. iFiend macrumors 65816

You could try to sign into iTunes using the Apple ID that you got the apps with and then do "transfer purchases". Since you don't have your old laptop this may be the only option.

6. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

exactly.

quick question: don't you have a BACKUP of the original mac??

7. iFiend macrumors 65816

Looks like he no longer has the old laptop at all.

8. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

yeah, i got that. but does he have that laptop backed up? ie with time machine (or something....)

9. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

my old laptop is not a mac, its a dell. does it even matter?:p since i just got a new mbp i no longer need the old dell. i was successfu in backing up my contacts. i didnt do the app sync since i was afraid it will delete my current apps because i do not have any of those apps on my macbook pro.

10. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

read thru the thread; u can always re-download your apps again.
    at some point, you'll want to take the plunge, so you can update apps, etc..

11. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

i can how you can redownload. but how about apps that i get through cydia. this is what im worried about.

i just wish i can just back it up without worries of my apps getting deleted.

basically when i try to sync apps
    a message box will appear with this message

"are you sure you want to sync apps? all existing apps and their data on the iPhone "myphone' will be replaced with apps from this iTunes library"

12. lem3u macrumors newbie

Just last week I switched from a Dell to a MBP. If you are able to get to and copy the itunes folder from the old computer(take out the HD and put it in a usb enclosure is one way, assuming it was not the HD that died on you), then you can just copy the whole folder over to the MBP. That's what I did and it worked like a charm, all of my apps, music, settings, and everything was there when I launched iTunes on the MBP. I used the article found here http://www.macworld.com/article/146958/2010/03/move_itunes_windows_mac.html

13. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you. i will try that tonight.

14. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

ok there are several ways to do this

1) for bought itunes content just sent them an email in the itunes support express lane, tell them what happened and ask them to re-downlode your content. they should then put all your stuff apps, songs, movies etc in your itunes download cue.

2) for the not purchased stuff or if you dont go with #1, if the stuff was on your Apple mobile products like an iphone, there are many programs to retrieve them off the devise and put them in itunes. i personally used iPhone Explorer because this happened to me 4 months ago.

3) if your Hard drive is good on your laptop then u can buy some cables at best buy or something just get the HD from the old one and retrieve the files. but if u cant handle that there are companies that do it, even the apple store attempted to do it for me but they couldn't, but i think they were just being nice.

and now that you have a mac u can buy a "time machine" and use that to back up your whole mac, or use a portable hard drive or something like that.

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

All these convoluted answers to a simple process. Transfer purchases in iTunes (assuming you still have your apps on your phone and didn’t screw up and delete them all before coming on here and asking what to do).

For Cydia apps, get pkgbackup and chronus.

16. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

im looking for a solution where i dont need to re-download my apps. why would i have to since i already have them?

i just want my apps backed up.

17. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

wasnt able to do it last night. anyone with more insight on this?

18. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

what ios version are u using?